Get involved with YOUR Chamber!
The following committees are your opportunity to get involved and make a difference in your Chamber and your community.
Finance Committee Chair- Rodney Broach, O’Neal Broach & Stell
Purpose: To assure the Chamber operates effectively on a financially sound basis.
Committee Members: The committee is made up of the newly elected Board of Directors each year. They serve on this committee for their first year of service to the Board of Directors.
2014 members: Michelle Yawn-Winder Housing Authority, Scott Buffington-Main Street News, Tim Simpson BESCO Steel
- Provide guidance and help coordinating the annual budget.
- Review monthly income/expenses and P&L statements.
- Review investment structure and income level annually while maintaining market.
- Establish plans to fund a reserve account.
- Increase non-dues funding
- Partner with Barrow County Government to develop value-added support.
Governmental Affairs Committee
Governmental Affairs Committee Chair-Mark Bond, Hayes James & Associates
Purpose: To strengthen and maintain strong partnerships and healthy relationships with cities and county elected officials and government entities.
Goal: Define the Chamber as a politically involved organization.
- Determine which issues are priorities for members.
- Keep members informed as to what issues are currently being addressed at the municipal, county and state levels.
- Establish and articulate positions on issues pertinent to the business community.
- Host “Eggs & Issues” breakfast for legislators to update the business community on activity at the state level.
- Identify issues of concern and recommend positions on the issues to the Chamber Board.
- Host legislative meetings for local citizens to meet, question and express issues of concern.
- Conduct forums as needed for local and state candidates running for public office.
- Represent the Chamber on issues that affect the business community and its members at city and county meetings.
- Host a reception to meet with legislators while in session in Atlanta.
- Host local and state representatives at monthly Governmental Affairs meetings to update the committee on issues and activities that relate to the business community.
Membership Chairman: Bill Ritter, Bill Ritter State Farm Insurance
Purpose: To establish and maintain a net positive growth in membership.
Goal: To improve chamber membership retention, recruitment, and investment benefits.
- Support an effective website.
- Conduct face-to face meetings with key chamber members to get feedback.
- Establish a means to get member input/feedback.
- Evaluate existing retention programs.
- Oversee the hiring of a membership commissioned sales staff.
- Establish a “help center” for small businesses.
Workforce Development Committee
Membership Chairman: Joe Vogt, Solvay
Purpose: To establish and plan for a competitive workforce
- Partner with Barrow County Schools and Lanier Technical College
- Optimize a college preparatory curriculum
- Target specific technical skills
- Enhance skills of existing workers through continuing education.
- Leverage technology at schools to enhance PR to get students involved.
- Maintain and analyze existing programs.
- HR luncheon
- Mock interviews
Leadership Barrow Task Force
Leadership Barrow Chairman: Steven Smith, Verity Bank
Goal: Re-establish Leadership Barrow
Purpose: To enhance participants of the program with essential leadership skills along with providing the opportunity to explore the Barrow County community.
Members must be nominated and selected to attend Leadership Barrow. A nine month commitment must be made to attend the program. Barrow County Chamber of Commerce offers leaders the opportunity to enhance their leadership skills in-trade by building stronger leaders for the future of Barrow County. Maximum class size 25.
- Conduct benchmark studies to determine curriculum
- Establish funding
- Engage alumni to oversee program details and plans for class graduation.
- Recruit class for the upcoming session beginning in August.
- Coordinate monthly meetings.
- Market program on web-site, all forms of media and through printed materials.